Saturday, March 07, 2020

Suga!

Megan Thee Stallion puts out the SUGA EP and launches a fight with her label for mishandling its release.
Megan Thee Stallion releases her third EP called "SUGA."

The rapper/model is facing controversy over its release. The album was allegedly stopped due to a restraining order filed by the label.

Megan Thee Stallion was blowing up 2019 with the hits "Hot Girl Summer" and "Cash Shit."

Now under a new moniker, "SUGA", Megan The Stallion wants to reclaim her place as an independent artist who has creative control of her music.

The EP was released on Friday and it features the newest single "B.I.T.C.H." and its homage to the Tupac Shakur single, "I Rather Be Ya NIGGA." with Richie Rich.
Megan Thee Stallion with DaBaby.
The single has the production of Helluva, J. White, Lil Ju, Jake One, Pop Wansel, Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo (The Neptunes), Timbaland and Tommy Brown.

She has features from Kehlani and Gunna.

Peep the album here.



The album is released on Warner Music Group through 1501 Certified Entertainment and 300 Entertainment.

Here's some of the lyrics from SUGA.

The single, "Crying in the Car."

[Verse 1]
Money to make and we all gon' spend it
Takin' care of my team, they wit' me
Can't complain, can't do no trippin'
Sayin' a prayer and I know he hear me
People keep sayin' I should be the bigger person
Who's gonna worry 'bout me when I'm hurtin'?
Got one more time, keep talkin' that shit
And I'ma wild out and go hard on a bitch
I been stayin' up all night
My niggas in the street, I'm makin' sure they're alright
And if I tell 'em it's a issue, then it's on sight
I'm on point, let me show you what that aim like

[Pre-Chorus]
Shit ain't the same and you say I'm changin'
But I really think it's you
Mad at me 'cause I'm elevatin'
But what you wanted me to do?

[Chorus]
Please don't give up on me, Lord, Lord
Promise to keep goin' hard, hard
All of them nights that I cried in the car
All them tears turned into ice on my arms
Please don't give up on me, Lord, Lord
Promise to keep goin' hard, hard
All of them nights that I cried in the car
All them tears turned into ice on my arms

[Post-Chorus]
And that's why I keep goin' harder
And harder (Ayy)
And that's why I keep goin' harder
And harder (Ayy)

[Verse 2]
Nigga, why you wanna play with me?
And why your girl look like she got somethin' to say to me?
He a snake and you layin' in the snake pit
'Cause he the type of nigga fuck a bitch I'm cool with
I don't want to talk and I barely wanna listen
Niggas playin' tag and they all tryna get me
Gotta stay focused, gotta stay winnin'
Young bitch just tryna make these millions
You know ya really motivatin' me
I'm really happy that you mothafuckas hate me
All them hoes get quiet when I walk in
They don't bother me, I know them bitches ain't shit

[Pre-Chorus]
Shit ain't the same and you say I'm changin'
But I really think it's you
Mad at me 'cause I'm elevatin'
But what you wanted me to do?

[Chorus]
Please don't give up on me, Lord, Lord
Promise to keep goin' hard, hard
All of them nights that I cried in the car
All them tears turned into ice on my arms
Please don't give up on me, Lord, Lord
Promise to keep goin' hard, hard
All of them nights that I cried in the car
All them tears turned into ice on my arms

[Post-Chorus]
And that's why I keep goin' harder
And harder (Ayy)
And that's why I keep goin' harder
And harder (Ayy)

[Outro]
And that's why I keep goin' harder
And harder (Ayy)
And that's why I keep goin' harder
And harder (Ayy)

The rapper wants off her label. She believes that the label is cheating her out of her royalties.

Megan Thee Stallion, whose real name is Megan Pete, didn't only ask Houston's Harris County District Court to help greenlight the release of Suga. Simultaneously, in a lawsuit filed on March 2, she asked for at least $1 million and the termination of her contract with 1501, claiming that the label has engaged in fraud, breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation, and other violations of civil law. The legal battle brings to a head tensions that have been playing out in interviews and social media for months.
Hot Girl Summer was one of the biggest hits of 2019.
Represented by Richard Busch, the lawyer who helped Marvin Gaye’s family triumph over Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams in the "Blurred Lines" copyright dispute, Megan Thee Stallion essentially claims that Crawford duped her into signing an unfair deal at a time when she didn't know any better. Megan, now 25, was "young and naive" when she signed to 1501 in early 2018, according to court documents filed by her team, and Crawford and 1501 "took complete advantage of her and fraudulently induced her to enter into the contract." That contract, the documents allege, is "not only entirely unconscionable, but ridiculously so."

Megan filed her lawsuit on March 2, and very quickly won a battle in preliminary rulings. That day, a Harris County District Court judge approved her request for a temporary restraining order, which prevented 1501 from interfering with Suga's release. Two days later, another Harris County District Court judge gave her another boost, denying 1501's request to dissolve the temporary restraining order. Megan celebrated the latter victory on Instagram, writing, "I will stand up for myself and won't allow two men to bully me, I am NO ONES PROPERTY."


View this post on Instagram

FACTS ARE FACTS AND THE FACTS ARE PUBLIC ‼️ I’m extremely pleased that 1501 and Carl Crawford were denied the request to dissolve the Court order and try to stop my music from being released. I will proceed with the release of “SUGA”. On Friday March 6, To be clear, I will stand up for myself and won’t allow two men to bully me, I am NO ONES PROPERTY. Y’all are choosing to highlight the issue of music splits...talk about everything else. This has nothing to do with anyone else including JAY-Z, stop deflecting and trying to make this a publicity stunt, I want my rights, The facts are; 1. 1501 doesn’t want to approve my budget to put out my project that the court is allowing to be released. 2. 1501 tried to stop my release, I prevailed in court 3. 1501 tried to fight the decision today, the court denied 1501’s request🤷🏽‍♀️ respect my deceased mother, she’s not here, you don’t know her, you weren’t involved, Carl should speak for himself, All the facts are public record available at the courthouse in Houston.
A post shared by Hot Girl Meg (@theestallion) on


But the case for terminating her contract with 1501 altogether could be more contentious. Her lawsuit alleges that the deal is so unfair it should be scrapped, that 1501 has broken the contract in ways that caused her "immediate and irreparable injury" and misrepresented its ability to promote her music. The label also falsely led her to believe T. Farris was Crawford's business partner when he was actually an outside consultant, according to the lawsuit. But the sort of fraud she’s accusing Crawford of committing when he signed her to 1501 is difficult to prove in court.

"The music and entertainment industries often include some level of puffery, of inflating of the truth," says Clark. He laid out a long list of qualifiers Megan would need to meet in order to prevail in court: "She's going to need to prove that those false statements went beyond normal overstatements, that 1501 knew those statements weren't true, that they were said in order to get her to sign with them, that she signed with them because of those statements, and she has since been injured by that relationship."

Megan's contract with 1501 is "extremely onerous," says Eng, but it will be "up to the judge and jury to decide whether it’s so onerous that it’s unconscionable." Owen Sloane, a music lawyer, says the lawsuit "sounds like a tactic to secure a renegotiation." In other words, the two sides might end up settling, as often happens in these sorts of cases, with Megan Thee Stallion getting at least some of the changes she wants made in her contact. The next hearing in the case is set for March 13.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails