Thursday, October 15, 2020

Florida Couple Found The Appraisers Downgraded Their Interracial Marriage By $100K!

Abena and Alex Horton got a shockingly low appraisal due to their marriage.

I really hate this Blogger interface. I have to make my posts a copy and paste from WordPad. Cause if I do it through this interface, it will not embedded Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram videos and images. Anytime I try to place a picture on the interface, it mysteriously disappears or appears at the bottom of the posting. I have to navigate through a bunch of unnecessary buttons to at least adjust the picture to fit the posting. On top of that, in its HTTM format is worthless. 

Blogger is really messed up right now and I don't think understand that the old interface was suitable.

I will keep reminding you that it's difficult to post now that Google rolled out their new interface. It deletes posts. Trust me, I am one of millions who are really not feeling this. 

Google will find its reckoning.

Nonetheless I keep saying this.

WEAR A DAMN MASK! SAVE A LIFE!

VOTE FOR JOE BIDEN AND KAMALA HARRIS!


BLACK LIVES MATTER

PROTECT BLACK WOMEN! 

HER NAME IS BREONNA TAYLOR!

VOTE 🇺🇸

You see it in America, folks....

Abena Horton and her husband, Alex are an interracial couple. Abena is Black and Alex is White. The two have found themselves seeing racism first hand in their own community.

The two were trying to get an appraisal for their home in Jacksonville, Florida. They have a four-bedroom, four-bathroom ranch style home. They initially thought the property was reasonably priced between $500,000 to $750,000 on the market.

The appraisal value came shockingly low.

"It clicked in my mind almost immediately that I understand what the issue was here," Abena said to the local junk food media.

Abena, is an attorney and Alex is an artist. Like most married couples, their home is filled with photos of them together, their 6-year old son and family members from both sides. Their bookshelves include books by Black authors and African American anthologies.

They are supporters of the Joe Biden and Kamala Harris' presidential campaign.

She said her first reaction to the shockingly low appraisal was "a big eye roll."

"This person is being so petty and hateful, and he's wasting my time," she said. "Why did I let myself forget that I live in America as a Black person and that I need to take some extra steps to get a fair result."

Abena decided to conduct her own experiment. She requested a second appraisal, but this time she had her husband greet the appraiser alone, while she and their young son were out the house. Prior to the appointment, she removed all the photos and books showing he had a Black family.

Doing this, hiding this part of their family, was "crushing" her spirit, Abena said. She felt "ashamed of the fact that my son will see that this is something that I did."

Florida couple realized their marriage wasn't valued.

"I'm ashamed to say that I really wanted to refinance and pay off my house sooner and have full equity in my home, and so I was willing to put up with that indignity to do it because I knew it was going to be effective," she said. "So it was a combination of pragmatism and deep and profound sadness."

The second time around, with only Alex at home, the second appraisal came back showing that the value of their home had gone up more than $100,000.

At first, Abena felt relieved that the value went up. But she said it drew her to tears.

"I think it was about 15 seconds later when the tears came. Because we realize just how much more removing that variable increased the value of our home... To know just how much, me personally, I was devaluing the home just by sitting in it. Just by living my life. Just by paying my mortgage. Just by raising my son there. How much [the first appraiser] felt that that devalued my house, devalued the neighborhood," she said.

She shared her experience on social media and its went viral.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails