Tuesday, September 29, 2026

The Kitchen Is Closed At O'Charley's!

Causal dining is dying.

The American causal dining experience is dying. I am a home dinner guy. I am breakfast at home guy. I am an occasional gas station foodie. I am not in fast food restaurants much.

I don't speak for everyone else, but I pass. Of course at work, I may take home the "corporate pizza party" food if necessary.

I am so tired of food parties. I want more money.

Anyway, folks.

O'Charley's is officially gone. 

O'Charley's and Underground Chuck have officially went out of business. Those goddamn private equity companies killed another legendary company.

O'Charley's Restaurant & Bar was an American casual dining restaurant. 

As of February 2026, the company had operated 52 locations in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

O'Charley's was part of the parent company O'Charley's, Inc. Enterprise, a multi-concept restaurant company that operated or franchised a total of 363 restaurants under three brands: O'Charley's, Ninety Nine Restaurant, and Stoney River Legendary Steaks. 

In 2012, O'Charley's, Inc. Enterprise was acquired by Fidelity National Financial and became part of American Blue Ribbon Holdings.

In 2018, O'Charley's was split off from American Blue Ribbon Holdings and became a part of Cannae Holdings, Inc.

All O'Charley's corporate locations and Underground Chuck's locations ceased operations on September 9, 2026.

The reported shutdown comes as the Nashville-founded chain has struggled with declining customer traffic and sales.

O’Charley’s was founded in 1971 by Charles Watkins on 21st Avenue near Vanderbilt University in Nashville.

Watkins sold the business in 1984 to David Wachtel, a former Shoney’s executive who expanded O’Charley’s into a regional chain. By 1993, the company had grown to 45 locations.

The brand later expanded to hundreds of restaurants across the Southeast and Midwest before substantially reducing its footprint in recent years.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails