Monday, March 18, 2019

What They Done To Brown Got UPS In Hot Water!

Black UPS workers sue the Toledo facility after they uncovered racism.
The workers at an Ohio UPS hub say they were targets of a deliberate racism.

This was under the radar.

UPS workers at a distribution hub in Toledo, Ohio sued the company on Wednesday citing a series of discriminatory hiring decisions and a series of racist acts, including a noose and confederate flags in the workplace.

White employees had directed in racist language at black workers. They hung a stuffed monkey toy in a UPS uniform in the office. They hung nooses near the restroom and elevators. The workers, mostly Black filed a lawsuit against UPS and the five managers.

The lawsuit alleged managed at the UPS distribution hub in Maumee, a suburb of Toledo "enabled, tolerated, and purposefully promoted and encouraged" a culture of racism at the site tha tled to racist acts and discriminatory employment decisions.

The lawsuit also says ther has been a pattern of discrimination for more than a decade at the facility.

UPS said in a statement on Thursday that the company responded quickly and fired two employees after the 2016 complaints, and since the time has taken remedial steps in cooperation with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, including additional training and monitoring.

An attorney for the workers told The Toledo Blade that Black employees have been passed over for promotions in favor of white employees with less training and seniority.

This wasn't the last place in Toledo. There was a lawsuit filed at General Motors. There were workers who faced similar racist attacks from workers. The GM lawsuit also active said that racist graffiti was spotted in restrooms and workers would display nooses. Several Black employees were passed on promotions. GM is currently trying to fix the problem.

Although they couldn't save the Lordstown plant....!
The employee who hung the noose was fired out the cannon.
I can testify to this. Now that I work at a better job. I can disclose that I once worked for a Midwest grocery/retail superstore in Dayton. I've worked there for 18 years and found myself in the very same circumstances. I worked my ass off at the business. I was passed on promotions. Denied vacations and forced to work various hours while two other full time workers had one shift.

At the time, I had gotten a better job. At first I was just going to just keep two jobs, but I finally found myself at a place where I am happier. After 18 years of working for this company, I decided to quit.

I could have filed a lawsuit and got the company to change their management. But I choose to just let the company survive without me. I mean the company is going to still be there for the time being.

But I've always told folks that "If you leave an impact on a person's life, then you've done your job right!"

Trust me, I was missed. I am still missed at the previous jobs as well. But as time moves forward, I just keep my head up and move towards better.

I have a child now, so I guess I got this challenge to deal with more than a crappy job.

This is Donald J. Trump's Amerikkka. A place where the blue collar workers are taken advantage of.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails