Monday, May 01, 2023

Ben Cardin Out!

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD) retires.

Maryland senator announced retirement. Democratic senator Ben Cardin said he will not seek reelection.

"I am proud of all I have done for Maryland. I have given my heart and soul to our great state, and I thank Marylanders for trusting me as your representative for all these years. Thank you, Maryland," Cardin tweeted Monday, sharing a video of his retirement announcement. 

"It’s time," Cardin, 79, told The Baltimore Sun in an interview at his Pikesville home. "I always knew this election cycle would be the one I would be thinking about not running again, so it’s not something that hit me by surprise. I enjoy life. There are other things I can do."

Cardin has served in the Senate since 2006 when he won a seat to replace retiring Democrat Paul Sarbanes. Before that, he was a congressman who represented a large part of Baltimore and several nearby suburbs, winning his first U.S. House race in 1986.

During his tenure in the Senate, Cardin has been a leader in health care, retirement security, the environment and fiscal issues. The senator has also been a leading advocate for clean water and the Chesapeake Bay, the nation’s largest estuary, which flows through his home state.

Republicans couldn't resist taking aim at the Democrats. They have a feeling they could flip the senate in 2024. 

Ohio, Arizona, West Virginia, Michigan, Montana, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin have incumbents who may face a possibility of being defeated. 

"Democrats are quickly realizing that the Senate won't be any fun for them when Republicans retake the majority in 2024," National Republican Senatorial Committee spokesperson, Tate Mitchell, told Fox News. 

Republicans so far have played upon culture wars since they won their slim majorities. 

They managed to only win back the majority in the House of Representatives. They hold a five seat majority.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails