Sunday, December 22, 2013

Woman Jokes About AIDS Catches Flack!

justinesacco01
Keep It Classy!

Keep it real classy, woman.

This idiotic woman goes to Twitter to make a stereotypical jab at the continent of Africa.

Justine Sacco was the head corporate director of IAC, until she booted over the weekend for a tweet she sent out.

Being an executive for the Internet giant InterActive Corp., which owns popular websites like Match.com, Dictionary.com, and Vimeo, one would have thought that her actions were more responsible than this. 

She got booted when a person discovered a tweet from her account on Friday that read: "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!"

Here are some of her other offensive tweets from earlier this year and last year. No harm, right?

justine05
justine08
Sacco is aware of the dangers of being a public figure in the new media age her company helped usher in. 

Sacco issued a statement after the fiasco.

"Words cannot express how sorry I am, and how necessary it is for me to apologize to the people of South Africa, who I have offended due to a needless and careless tweet," Sacco said. "There is an AIDS crisis taking place in this country, that we read about in America, but do not live with or face on a continuous basis. Unfortunately, it is terribly easy to be cavalier about an epidemic that one has never witnessed firsthand.

"For being insensitive to this crisis -- which does not discriminate by race, gender or sexual orientation, but which terrifies us all uniformly -- and to the millions of people living with the virus, I am ashamed.

"This is my father's country, and I was born here. I cherish my ties to South Africa and my frequent visits, but I am in anguish knowing that my remarks have caused pain to so many people here; my family, friends and fellow South Africans. I am very sorry for the pain I caused."

A trending hashtag #HasJustineLandedYet and parody account @LOLJustineSacco quickly appeared on Twitter after Sacco sent the tweet. A fake Facebook account under her name was also created, where a post links to www.justinesacco.com, which brings up a donation page for Aid for Africa.

"There is no excuse for the hateful statements that have been made and we condemn them unequivocally," the InterActive Corp statement said. "We hope, however, that time and action, and the forgiving human spirit, will not result in the wholesale condemnation of an individual who we have otherwise known to be a decent person at core."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails