Friday, September 23, 2011

Irresistible Revolution

From: Irresistible Revolution:

"Tell me, Maria, why I see her dancing there
Why her smoldering eyes still scorch my soul.
I feel her, I see her, the sun caught in her raven hair
It's blazing in me out of all control"

--"Hellfire" from Walt Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"


Images are one of the most powerful forms of social control. Images tell us stories about who we are, where we come from and what our place in the world is. Images narrativize and normalize history and shape our collective social conscious. In a not-so-post colonial, white supremacist, heteropatriarchal world, the images we see are often shaped by intersecting oppressions, and without critical consciousness we risk imbibing and perpetuating the lies of the oppressors.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails