Monday, October 27, 2008

Do white men assimilate, or with cultural preference? by La from Tribute for Your Thoughts

Do white men assimilate, or with cultural preference? by La

While living in a largely black populated community and region, I have made some personal observations about Caucasian relations in these areas. I’ve also made some comparisons regarding white men and their preference in cultural assimilation. All of what I’m stating is based on my own observations and perspectives. I am not trying to be negative or “project” any type of negativity unto other black females. I just have to explore and present my theories on these issues. I also want to welcome any opinions or opposing views.


Most importantly as a black female today, I fully support and promote black women to explore their options in dating interracially. I always knew non-black men, particularly white men found black women attractive and desirable. In fact, I grew up knowing this all my life. However, I feel there are still profoundly noticeable signals coming from the white male population that would challenge that belief in the eyes of many black females. We all know some say black women are less receptive or indulge in the “fear” of white men through “myths”, mammism, misconceptions, lack of exposure etc… But still, black women didn’t manifest these ideas out of thin air. Apart from the usual complaints, even the “white male” controlled media seems to welcome so much anti black female isms, as well as promoting more black male/white female coupling as the black and white IR tokens. Movies, sitcoms, picture ads, magazines, online banners, and even your everyday clip-art seems to be getting infected by this visible preference.


Seeing this over the years, has made me wonder at times who really controls the media regarding interracial groupings. Anyone could easily assume it’s either black males or white females using it for their own beneficial agendas, and visual recruitment. I know it might be the 1% of the white male population that actually partake in the direct media productions. But, It’s still obvious white males collectively know how to use the media to their overall advantage, affirmative self image, financial, political etc. So why not promote or encourage more white male and black female unions in the media, if so many are so inclined? I’m not trying to put an unrealistic burden on white males. In general, most women like to feel wanted and desired, or respectively pursued by men.. Black women are no different.


Which brings me back to my main curiosity. I always wondered if white men assimilate and do so romantically in non-white societies. At least in the way many black men, and Asian men etc. do when trying to acquire white female companionship in white dominated societies. I think they do, but perhaps in selective cultures? I know it’s based on individualism, but even generally when being the minority, there still seems to be some sort of arrogant superiority resistance among many white men. Furthermore, yes there is evidence of white men going to racially and culturally different places to assimilate, and even seek out the native women… Asia, Hawaii, India, South America etc.. Even in the media, these unions are presented “exotic” and they’re romatically inevitable. What about Africa? Be it movies, or real life, you rarely hear a love story coming from the fact that a white male took a trip to Africa. If anything, he seeks out white females that are there already. I often wonder how many white European/American military soldiers would readily take home African war brides the way they do with Asian and South American women.


White men don’t assimilate in the Caribbean as people seem to think either. Even so, the Caribbean is so diverse in background and culture, and it depends on the area. In my particular parts, you rarely see white men with black females, but much more increasingly in the reverse. I live on the US islands, and white men seem to still seek out the white women that are also living on these US islands. It’s almost mind boggling :) I always see young and old white men in arms with white women, especially on the weekends. Many of these men come alone, but upon arrival they still hunt for the minute white female population. Now, you might see more white men trying to befriend the native black women on non-US islands. Do non-US black Caribbean women have something special over US Caribbean black women? No. While thinking about this oddness over the few years, the harsh reality behind it darned on me. Due to some of their local island laws (british/french), some of those white males try to marry or make arrangements with those native black women in order to purchase the protected land and their island resources. So, you should think twice when if you see some white people in general with native blacks in certain parts of the Caribbean.


I know many would disagree with my less-than-positive observations. And yes, we already know all about the disloyal hearts of so many black men, this has clearly been established. So why pick on white men or put such a critical emphasis on them? If we’re going to promote or encourage white male options, then we should also be able to openly tackle some of these blatant non-affirming signals and prejudices many of them still have towards black women. This is the only way for all cards to be placed fairly on the table. Again, I’m not projecting, or talking about all white males. I just wanted to share some of my personal observations, (even in my area) and thoughts for exploring and understanding things that were on my mind. Perhaps other black women share similar concerns and sentiments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I am originally from Jamaica, and my observations are the same as yours. That's one thing that hasn't changed much over the last 30 years.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hello there!

This is interesting...

I just started a discussion a few days ago about white men and dating... please feel free to share your thoughts!

(smiles)
Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails