Friday, October 20, 2006

The Subversiveness of BF/WM Marriage

Black women. White men. Now that’s subversive.
Posted by marthasouthgate on Sunday, April 24th, 2005 at 12:35 pm


Nicholas D. Kristoff sounds off on Hollywood’s refusal to feature an interracial on-screen romance, despite the explosion of interracial marriages.
As of the 2000 census, 6 percent of married black men had a white wife, and 3 percent of married black women had a white husband — and the share is much higher among young couples.
Yet …
… When will Hollywood dare release a major movie in which Denzel Washington and Reese Witherspoon fall passionately in love?
For all the gains in race relations, romance on the big screen between a black man and a white woman remains largely a taboo. Americans themselves may be falling in love with each other without regard to color, but the movie industry is still too craven to imitate life.
I agree wholeheartedly with Kristof. Hollywood is behind the curve on reflecting how race is lived in America. That goes for movies and television.
But one thing keeps hanging me up in this discussion of portrayals of race in mass media. Why is the black man-white woman relationship seen as the epitome of racial progress in America?
We’ve had this discussion before.
The simple answer is that black men and white women
elicit angry stares and death threats.
Don’t be fooled: White women deliver stares that are just as angry — I’ve seen it with my own eyes. Ironically, the white dude involved was a multi-racial Nuyorican who just came out looking white. And black men? They assume that black women who date white men are are just out for dough.
But the truth is more complex (and I posted this same thing a few minutes ago in the
comments of a previous post).
As Rajen Persaud explained in an MLive.com article last month:
The stereotypes, especially that of the hypersexual and aggressive black male and the virtuous, pure white female, are a result of social engineering by slave owners of old. They desired a society that would condone slavery, so they created images that would dehumanize blacks and exalt whites.
In other words, the reason why black woman-white men relationships don’t get the hype is because black women have been deemed inferior. We’re either overweight, asexual, undesirable mammies, or hypersexual, always ready never-say-no Jezebels.
That’s why white men get so upset about seeing “their women” with black men (What? Dating down? Couldn’t find a white man who’d want you?). It’s why white women get so upset about seeing a white man with a black woman (Why would you want her? I mean, she’s not as good as a white woman.)
And here’s the kicker: it’s the same reason why black men get so upset about seeing a black woman with a white man (I’m sayin: I’m cool. I got a big dick and e’erythang. Why does she want ol’ lil dick Oppie? It must be the money.)
So to me, the true sign of racial equality in society and Hollywood would be black women being loved (by folks generally, but whites in particular) — and not as rescue projects, prostitutes, or struggling single mothers who have just lost their children and wind up sacrificing their dignity and self-worth trying to change the hearts and minds of racist cops (*cough* “Monster’s Ball” *cough*) — but as equals.

12 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll see that development anytime soon .. when you did, sort of, recently, it was trumpeted as such a breakthrough in "Something New" that it became a sad joke .. For a real examination of true, albeit troubled, love between a black woman and a white man, you might enjoy Bertolucci's "Besieged" (at least that what my memory has as the title), with the irrestistible Thandie Newton and David Thewlis

Anonymous said...

will write more

Anonymous said...

Stephanie.

As I said in my comments at Steve Barnes site concerning the devaluation of black women in the world's eyes, I said that it would be a revolutionary act for white men to start MARRYING black women and giving to them the respect that black women should have from ALL men.

The time the day comes when white men will marry black women as much as black men marry white women and women of other races will be the day when America truly lives up to her creed of equality in her treatment of ALL women.

It will be a revolutioanry act because it will send the message that black women will no longer be treated as less than, as they are just as worthy of marriage, honor, adoration and respect, just as much as any other women in the world.

How a country treats it's women says a lot about that country.

And how America STILL treats her black female citizens says alot about her callous disregard of black women.

La Reyna said...

To Ann,

Exactly. Which is why there are still Black woman haters/White woman worshipers are still prevalent around the world.

The e-mail I sent regarding the idiot's rant shows that Black woman hating is alive and well among many White men and Nonblack/Black men in the U.S. The whole power structure in the U.S. is based on maintaining a duality between Black and White women. White women are needed to maintain White male supremacy, hence the need to marry and procreate within the white family unit.

Anonymous said...

"The whole power structure in the U.S. is based on maintaining a duality between Black and White women. White women are needed to maintain White male supremacy."

What do you mean by that? How does the maintaining a duality between black and white women help maintain the power structure in a way that a general duality between white and black people does not?

I've never studied sociology formally, so sometimes I don't see concepts that others think of as being very basic.

La Reyna said...

To Gordo,

It's not just men who are maintaining the racist power structure. It's women, both White and Black. They're the ones who are raising children in society. It's larger than the competition between men of all races as far as socioeconomic domination is concerned.

I want to explain more on it later.

Stephanie B.

Ziomal said...

Very nice! I like it. dollywood amusement

Anonymous said...

I myself would love to meet my soul mate (which is a black woman)and live happily ever after as the saying goes because for me I am more comfortable around black women as a whole and while I hate sterotyping here there tends to be a whole lot less game playing and more honesty I have found with black women and I really really appreciate that.

Anonymous said...

I myself would love to meet my soul mate (which is a black woman)and live happily ever after as the saying goes because for me I am more comfortable around black women as a whole and while I hate sterotyping here there tends to be a whole lot less game playing and more honesty I have found with black women and I really really appreciate that.

Anonymous said...

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are mistaken. I suggest it to discuss.

Anonymous said...

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion you are not right. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails