Thursday, December 27, 2018

I Live Here! Why Are You Harassing Me?

Hallway Harry.
The white folks who call the law on people of color became one of the biggest controversies of 2018.

From that Starbucks incident to the latest controversy explained here, 2018 has seen a lot of white people being shamed for causing an uproar over Black folks minding their business.

The law has been called on people of color running for local politics. The law has been called on children who sold water on the corner. The law has been called on people grilling in a park.

The law has been called on people entering an apartment complex.

The law has even shot a man who lived in his own apartment after the law mistaken it.

This will continue on into 2019.

A white man who is dubbed "Hallway Harry" accosted Chika Okafor, a sport writer for the Bleacher Report. The white man questioned why he lived in a building on the Upper East Side of New York City last week.

Okafar was getting ready for a Lyft when he approached by this man.

"While I was with my friend Cassius Flemming waiting for a Lyft ride on the first floor of the building that I have lived since mid-December of last year, this man interrogated me about where I live."

Okafor lived in the building. The foolish man wanted to know the specific apartment. Okafor refused to acknowledged him.

"You don't live here. I've never seen you before. I've lived here 27 years."
I felt insulted by this guy. All I was trying to do was wait on a Lyft and he comes around demanding me show my key.
In an interview with the New York Times, Okafor said that he felt insulted by the whole encounter.

"I felt violated. To me, his behavior suggested that, one, because we were people of color we were a threat to their safety, and, two, there for 27 years, it doesn't give him the right to interrogate other people."

The video has went viral. Over 1.5 million people seen this video and it marks another incident of white folks calling the police or berating people of color for doing mundane task.

1 comment:

La Reyna said...

This is very sad and disturbing in this time period we Black folks had to prove to bigots and racists, etc., that we belong and that we have rights that need to be respected. It's called existing while Black. Very disturbing.

S.B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails