Monday, September 10, 2018

Nia Franklin Is Miss America!

Nia Franklin is Miss America.
Gretchen Carlson, the former Fox News host turned activist is now the CEO of the Miss America pageant. Her impact was controversial but it was successful to say the least.

For one, the trolls were upset that the swimsuit competition was eliminated. Two a Black woman won the title squashing all those alt-right fantasies of a white goddess riding to victory.

This time I actually can be proud.

Nia Imani Franklin was crowned Miss America 2019. She edged out the 50 fellow competitors at the Sunday night performance in Atlantic City.

"I feeling really blessed right now. I want to thank God because without him I wouldn't be standing here. It took a lot of perseverance to get here and I just want to thank my beautiful family for coming, my mom and dad, who's a survivor of cancer, and I love him so much. I want to thank all of my sisters behind me. We've had a wonderful week together, and I love each and every one of you."

She is a Black woman and she represents New York.




I am proud for once to see a pageant give women of color an opportunity to be the representative of the world.

So what I am hoping for next is a woman of Hispanic/Latina heritage. A woman who is Muslim. A woman who is Native American. A woman who is of Asian American/Pacific Islander decent. A woman who has a special need or disability. A single mother could be Miss America. A woman who is a little chubby could be Miss America. All women are beautiful and its a slow step in the right direction.

ABC hosted the Miss America Pageant.

A far cry from Miss Universe which was then own by Donald J. Trump, the world's most incompetent leader.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails