Thursday, August 21, 2014

Family Of John Crawford Wants Walmart To Release Video!

Attorney General Mike DeWine will order a special prosecutor in the Beavercreek Walmart shooting.

Republican Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine has ordered an inquiry into the shooting of John Crawford, III.

As the country is still simmering over the shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown, the state of Ohio is trying to make sure that the facts are heard. They don't want the residents of Dayton to loot and riot.

A couple of weeks ago, we reported on the shooting at a Beavercreek, Ohio Walmart. The shooting was officer involved.

Officer Sean Williams on administrative leave.
Crawford has no criminal record and was holding a pellet gun at the time of the incident. A witness called the law to tip them off to a crazed gunman in the store. Apparently Crawford took an air rifle off the shelve and was playing around with it.

There was video surveillance of the incident.

CBS News reports that April and Ronald Ritchie, of Riverside, told WHIO that they were in the hardware department Tuesday around 8:20 p.m. when they saw a man walking the aisles carrying what they thought was a real gun, pointing it toward the sky. The couple called 911.

The couple said they followed Crawford at a safe distance. "Anytime I saw people walking his way, I would get their attention," April Ritchie said. She said the man was cradling a cellphone between his left ear and shoulder while he messed with the rifle.

"He just kept messing with it and I heard a clicking," April Ritchie said.

Ronald Ritchie said Crawford "was just waving [the gun] at children and people...I couldn't hear anything that he was saying. I'm thinking that he is either going to rob the place or he's there to shoot somebody.

1 officer part of city's first fatal police-involved shooting photo
Officer David Darkow is back on.
"He didn't really want to be looked at and when people did look at him, he was pointing the gun at them. He was pointing at people. Children walking by," Ronald Ritchie said.

The station reports that police arrived and told Crawford to put the weapon down. The Ritchies said two shots were fired, knocking the suspect backward. When Crawford reportedly tried to get up, he was tackled by an officer who then handcuffed him and turned him on his back.

The Montgomery County coroner's office confirmed that Crawford died at the hospital as a result of the gunshots fired by police.

Angie Williams, a woman leaving the store had a medical emergency on her way fleeing. She and Crawford were the two causalities of this incident.

Questions remain. Did the police see the weapon being drawn at them?

The officers who were involved in the shooting are still on personal leave. Standard procedure when it comes to an officer drawing its service weapon.
Scott Brogli was killed by Officer Williams.
WHIO-TV reports that Beavercreek city attorney Stephen McHugh said Sgt. David Darkow has returned to work, while Officer Sean Williams remains on administrative leave.

Neither McHugh nor the Ohio Attorney General's Office has confirmed that Williams fired the shot that killed Crawford in the Beavercreek store after police said Crawford twice ignored commands to put down an air rifle pellet gun.

After showing a short portion of Walmart's surveillance video to Crawford's parents, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced Tuesday that a special Greene County grand jury will convene Sept. 3 to determine whether criminal charges are appropriate.

John Crawford III was a father and son. His death still begs the question, he had an air rifle. Why did they fire upon him if it wasn't a deadly weapon?
Williams, a nine-year veteran on the force, was involved in Beavercreek's first fatal police-involved shooting on June 27, 2010. Williams shot and killed retired Air Force Master Sgt. Scott A. Brogli, 45, after the man charged him and another officer while carrying a large kitchen knife. Brogli died from a single gunshot wound to the chest, as his 17-year-old son watched the incident unfold.

Beavercreek police were investigating a domestic violence call involving Brogli and his wife, who fled their apartment and drove away before police arrived. A toxicology report later indicated Brogli's blood-alcohol level at the time of the incident was 0.163 — more than twice the 0.08 legal limit for driving in Ohio.

On Aug. 30, 2010, a nine-member Greene County Court of Common Pleas grand jury determined Williams acted correctly and in self-defense when he killed Brogli.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails