Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This is American White Racism in Your Face...

Glenn Beck's plans for rally on a hallowed date and spot spurs countermarches

Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally, with former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin among the scheduled speakers, will take place on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, 47 years to the day after Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his famous "I Have a Dream" speech there.

The conservative talk show host announced in November that he wanted to reveal a "100 year plan for America" at the Lincoln Memorial. More recently, he said that the purpose of his Aug. 28 event is to restore the country's "values" and to pay tribute to military families.

"There will be absolutely no politics involved," he said. "This rally will honor the troops, unite the American people under the principles of integrity and truth, and make a pledge to restore honor within ourselves and our country."

Civil rights leaders have denounced Beck's plans, questioning his motives for choosing the date and place, which they said are historically symbolic of the country's civil rights movement.

Responding to the criticism on his show June 28, Beck said he believes it was "divine providence" that the rally was scheduled on the anniversary of the King speech. He said he had initially planned the event for Sept. 12 and then realized it was a Sunday. "I'm not going to ask anyone to work on the Sabbath," he said. He rescheduled the rally for Aug. 28 because it was the best day for the schedules of the people involved, he said.

"It was not my intention to select 8-28 because of the Martin Luther King tie. It is the day he made that speech. I had no idea until I announced it and I walked offstage and my researchers said, New York Times has already just published that this is [the same day as the King speech] -- and I said, 'Oh, jeez.' "

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, why exactly is it racist?

Nicholas Stix said...

Ya beat me to the punch, Anon!

La Reyna said...

To Anonymous and Dr. Nicholas Stix,

This is what Angryindian thinks, not I. I personally don't think Glenn Beck is racist. I happened to agree most things Mr. Beck says.

La Reyna

La Reyna said...

To Dr. Nicholas Stix,

Please feel free to comment anything in my posts. I'm all ears and eyes to your viewpoint unlike many others who just shut down dissent. I may not always agree with you, but free speech is important.

I might invite you as a guest poster if you allow me.

Thanks for posting on my website and have a nice weekend.

La Reyna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails